How Does the Vampire Facial Tighten Skin?The vampire facial has been shown to help with several areas of the skin, all tied to collagen and elastin production which ultimately help with skin tightening. It’s a cosmetic, non-surgical, and minimally invasive treatment, which means there is no scarring, puncturing, cutting, or face trauma after the procedure. The key ingredient in the process is the use of platelet-rich plasma (PRP) which is naturally found in our blood. Once separated, it is inserted into the skin with the use of a micro-needling device and treated for less than an hour. Compared to surgical treatments for skin tightening like botox, or fillers that help plump saggy skin, the vampire facial goes for a more extensive and long-term solution. Since PRP is the body’s natural way of healing various parts of the human cell, injecting them into areas that are slowing down the production of collagen and elastin is a way of harnessing the body’s own regenerative powers. This means that PRP targets the deepest layer of the skin follicle, ultimately helping skin cells heal on their own. Since it helps cells to regenerate faster, it also means they will produce a higher volume of collagen and elastin. Subsequently, it will help brighten and smooth out the skin, keeping it firm, giving it a plumper texture, younger appearance, and fewer wrinkles. Finally, it also minimizes and eliminates large pores, crow’s feet, dark circles, and acne scarring.
ProcedureSeeing as the procedure is non-invasive, it only requires the use of a topical cream that helps numb the skin. Once the PRP has been separated from the other blood components, it is transferred into a micro-needling device to be used on the skin. While this sounds uncomfortable on paper, the punctures are so small that they’re not noticeable and are fairly painless. The procedure can last anywhere between 30 to 45 minutes depending on the surface area and requires no recovery time. Since it involves the person’s own blood, there are little to no reactions or effects on the skin aside from potential redness and mild swelling from the micro-needling procedure. The effects of the vampire facial can last up to one year. Multiple treatments are required in cases where a person wants more specific results. It’s important to know that the effects of the vampire facial are not visible immediately, but take weeks and sometimes months to appear.
Read on what to do before a Vampire Facial treatment>>
Eligibility for the Vampire FacialWhile there are little to no risks when it comes to getting the vampire facial due to the lack of cross-contamination, some groups of people are advised to take caution before getting the blood facial done:
- People who are experiencing any blood-related health issues, especially those with clotting conditions should consult with their healthcare providers first, as this type of procedure may worsen the health issues in question.
- People who have undergone radiation therapy are not eligible candidates.
- People who have very loose skin, whether caused by a skin condition, weight gain from pregnancy, or obesity may not see dramatic improvements in their skin.
- People who are experiencing active acne breakouts and scarring may have a reaction to the procedure.
- People with a history of herpes and cold sores may experience outbreaks.
- Pregnant women should consult with their healthcare providers first.